3.08.2010

getting antsy for

general conference is less than a month away and i cant say if i've ever been more excited. got this sweet message in an email daily gem from the church. it sparked more excitement. i can feel it in my bones-april is gonna be a good month.

"A few years ago, when Arturo Toscanini was musical director of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in New York City, he had a Saturday afternoon radio broadcast. And one day he received in his mail a crumpled little note on some brownish paper which read:" 'Dear Mr. Toscanini, I am a lonely sheepherder in the mountains of Wyoming. I have two prized possessions: an old violin and a battery radio. And the batteries are getting weak and beginning to run down on my radio, and my violin is so out of tune I can't play it anymore. Would you please sound an A next Saturday on your program?'"The next week on the program, Arturo Toscanini announced: 'To a newfound friend in the mountains of Wyoming, the New York Philharmonic Orchestra is now, all together and in unison, going to sound a perfect A.' And they sounded the perfect A. Then that lonely little man was able to tune the A string and then the E string and the D and the G from that perfect A."Isn't it interesting to reflect in our own lives and in the lives of the many people who may hear me at this time—those whose violin or lives may be a little out of tune—that we are able to come to a general conference of the Church and hear the marvelous messages that are spoken?"

6 comments:

Sierra and Ryan said...

Thanks for posting that "gem", I loved it! I am the same way as you. As I have gotten older (not that I am old yet... :)) General Conference has become something I look forward months in advance. It's coming!

Caitlin said...

I love your enthusiasm!! General Conference is the best!! That story is so great!

The Felsted's said...

perfect message mare.

mckell said...

that. is. beautiful. And a lovely reminder. i'm definitely excited too.

sherryandbryon said...

beautiful thought, mare. looking forward to conference, too. it's such a boost!

hailey said...

Great story! I can't wait for conference either. April Conference+Easter+Spring= wonderful month.:) I'm coming up to UT around the 20th of this month, I would love to see ya!