12.30.2011

20 questions


I normally don't do things like this, but a favorite site of mine, simplemom.net had the idea, and it looked like a good way to round up my thoughts on the year. 

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year? adding copeland to our family
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened? adjusting to having copeland in our family and having my parents be gone. there isn't one single most challenging thing, it was more the sequence and timing of the challenges, so close together and so inopportune.


3. What was an unexpected joy this past year? i never, in my wildest dreams, imagined myself so content, satisfied, and happy as a mother. 


4. What was an unexpected obstacle? most obstacles were unexpected. being unemployed and having a husband brake his ankle were most unexpected.
5. Pick three words to describe 2011. eventful, trying, fortunate

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you). accomplished fulfilling demanding

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking). challenging, new, joyful

8. What were the best books you read this year? the book of mormon. for the first time i read it in 30 days, a little less than the time it took to translate it. it was a whole new book for me. 


9. With whom were your most valuable relationships? my God, husband and new son. my parents. my sister in law. my brother. my parents in law. my friends. my coworkers and students... the usual. 

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year? i am a different person than I was last January but it's hard to pin it to one thing. i'm not sure i have changed but i would hope i have learned to be more loving.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally? i still struggle voicing my feelings always but i know i was forced to be better at sharing my feelings since there were so many.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually? i know God let's us struggle until the exact minute that we can do it no longer, then he steps in and takes it. usually we surprise ourselves and that minute is a lot further than we expect. i have felt this so many times this past year. i know he is acutely mindful of our struggling.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically? this is a dumb question for a pregnant person, how did i not grow physically? well,after having a baby i appreciate my body. still don't eat, sleep, or exercise like i would want, but i'm appreciative.
 14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? anything regarding parenting, i'm more hungry for, grateful for, and understanding about having experienced it myself. i'm more grateful for all my husband does, since i am more reliant upon him than ever before. most of my family relationships have deepened as a result of cope too.

15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)? meeting new people at Kirton & McConkie who were inspiring. getting out of the house to teach spunky new 9-12 year olds. getting familiarized (again) with my new little guy.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)? remembering 200+ peoples names and faces as a receptionist at work. Keeping a gaggle of 9-12 year olds focused at a dance class. being my best self while juggling dishes, menu planning and dinner every night, and of course, laundry and other cleaning while on zero sleep.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year? the internet. silly thing.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year? a the time working was great, as was growing a baby, and now taking care of him.

19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year? i can do hard things.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you. this is cheesy. no thanks. but 2011 has been very good.
happy new year all!

2 comments:

bev said...

mare i enjoyed the review of your year. It brought me lots of memories too. love you

Kendrick and Hailey said...

What a year you guys have had. You are such a strong, inspiring person Mare!! I'm so happy to know you, let alone be your friend.:)