3.11.2012

bathtime ritual

i took a class in college all about rituals and routines. it was magnificent. some of the greatest mothers i know are great at this part of parenting.


when cope first came home from the hospital we gave him his first bath. i don't remember how it happened, i probably was trying to calm him from screaming himself hoarse. i started singing. i wanted to sing a song about being clean. and almost accidentally, a ritual emerged for our family that i adore.


every time we bathe cope, which used to be everyday until we realized we were only aggravating his poor excema, now every time we bathe cope we sing this song afterward while lathering his precious little body in lotion. i hope he wants to be clean, and be the best he can to live with God again.





I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.
I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

2 comments:

Jen and Lance said...

I love this! I want to hear all about that class you took, sounds amazing! The song you sing was one of my favorites when I was little. So much so that I went home one Sunday and wrote another verse to it, it just wasn't long enough for me. You are such a wonderful mom. I want to learn from you!

sherryandbryon said...

One of my favorite songs! And Cope is one lucky kid to have you as his mom.