5.28.2008

Itsy's




Besides all the many things that we won't mention that my blessed mother did for me when I was little, she taught me nursery songs. I learned the itsy bitsy spider and loved to do the actions as best as my uncoordinated hands would permit. One rather dramatic episode at the dinner table from me as a four year old, has been a laugh for my mother and I for many years since. We were having pizza. Not so dramatic for the American family right? Well suddenly I start screaming at the top of my lungs, "ITSY ITSY ITSY!!!!" Now, important note: My mother hates spiders just as much as i do. So she was frantically looking for this 'itsy' that her little one has spotted. Walls, under the table and high chair, on the floor-it all seemed clear of those terrible monsters. When I took a breath and had a moment to stop temper tantruming, I realized that my mother was not cleaning up the itsys. In case she wasn't getting the clue, I pointed at where i spotted the itsy-the pizza. I can imagine my mother's face going pale, and in her mind thinking, "No, please dont be on this pizza. What will we eat for dinner?" She searched the pizza but luckily found no itsy. She began to interrogate me asking what I thought was the itsy. After some confusion, and probably some difficult debate, and much soothing she had to convince me that the thousands of little black olives on the pizza were not itsy's. I've hated olives ever since, and spiders only more. Well much to my luck it seems those spiders here cant seem to stop following me around. If you dont like them I would not read on. I'm proud of the courage I've had recently to kill at least 1 spider a day and in cases like yesterday 5 in one day! It gives you such sense of accomplishment. I've been taking pictures of them for some strange reason here are just a few of the famous ones:



GROSS
Sick, we don't even know what this is. There are the strangest bugs out here.


This is usually the solution to the frights I have when I see these grotesque things: scream, find my right flip flop, and some good ole raid. I think we ran out of that on our first week here.

5 comments:

Sierra and Ryan said...

AHHH! You are so brave, killing all those...eeek! We have recently had more long legged, gross spiders than usual. I thought they were supposed to stay outside when it gets warm...not come in! Good luck!

CharLee Carn said...

Oh my gosh!! I knew you had some spider problems but yuck!!!! those are huge spiders and weird ones too! I'm so sorry...I hate spiders too!! They are the worst! PS I love it how you take pictures of them ha!

Jen and Lance said...

I'm glad you have the tools to kill those little suckers! Watch out for Mare! I really can't believe those "itsys" and I loved your story!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you guys haven't died from spider bites! I'm excited to see you guys at Amy's wedding. I went to her bridal shower and it was way fun, I wish you were there Mare! How long are you guys going to be here for? We defintely have to hang out during the wedding. Can't wait to see you guys!

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

That is nasty. I hate bugs so bad and there is a ton of them here in Texas. You are very brave I run in the other direction when I see them.