9.11.2008

toe + jammin days

i'm not talking about foot tappin toe jammin music. this just has to do with jam + toes, literally.
do you ever have one of those days when you're trying to be a perfect little wife and make a hearty pbandj for your husband and somehow a drop jam falls perfectly on your toe? you wonder why me, why did it have to fall and land exactly on my toe?

that has happened to me quite frequently lately. but today it was more than a toe + some jam. i wanted to be a great visiting teacher and make some homemade banana bread. after takin an extra trip to the store for last minute ingredients, two hours in the kitchen, and the first of two batches comin out a little small, the buzzer for the second went off. i opened the oven, take it out, and go to remove it from the pan. apparently it was a little undercooked because it spilled EEEEVerywhere.amid the horrid clean up, and one ripped hot pad later...

I began to think back to the toe + jammin experience. there are days when you drop your perfectly made cereal while running to the car, or sleep in for a work meeting, and somehow, even thought it may appear that all the cosmos are aligned and have it made for your utter destruction, even with all that you still can smile. you still can laugh. and with the help of Divine Providence you can think, "how great that i am alive and have jam that could hit my perfectly functioning toe." (intended to sound bafflingly grateful, not sardonic.)


isn't that kind of remarkable? i know it is for me. i had a harder time smiling with this last banana bread experience but i was praying the smile would come. and it did-

8 comments:

Megan said...

mare, you are always so inspiring to me with your good attitude. i had one of those days as well yesterday. total disaster and i could do nothing but sit there and think "is this for real? did that just happen??? REALLY?!?!" unfortunately there was no smiling happening on this face, but today i am over it and ready to try again. thanks, love! hope to see you soon!

matt and eve lloyd said...

You're so cute! I'm sorry about your experience but the fact that you were making homemade banana bread for your visiting teaching makes you a saint!!

The Merrills said...

Dearest Mare,

I found your blog and about died! You're so stinkin cute.. how are you? Oh and I love this post.. haha! Isn't that just the way life goes sometimes.. or all of the time :)

Tina said...

Mare, I remember taking a pie to your family and I dropped it on the driveway.....you never knew because I cleaned it up and made another one. I was so mad at my clumsiness. Today I burned, not 1 but 2 batches of nachos, I finally told Josh he had to have a sandwich.

melissa marie said...

Oh mummy, you are a saint aren't you! I miss your inspirational attitude. You ALWAYS put a smile on my face. Let's get together on campus soon, please!

Laura J. Ward said...

oh dear.. I really am struggling with this blogging! :) This is actually the link to my blog.. not the other one!

Becca said...

Honestly Eeliram, not many people within this crazy world would take the time out of their busy life to make banana bread for their visiting teachers. Could you be more thoughtful? I'm lucky if I even meet my visiting teachers, let alone visit them and make them scrumptious treats! You're amazing and such a great example of one to show Christlike love. I love you, textface pal.

Marian said...

you are my best person. reading these posts make me feel so happy! almost like i'm actually talking to you!