7.09.2009

a little taste of summer.

tomorrow marks the beginning of the end of one of the most magical and attitude-altering blessings in my life: the gift to dance here at San Francisco Conservatory of Dance. tomorrow is our first show, and saturday is our last. for too many reasons to list, for not enough words to explain, and for not enough of time to really tell i will abreviate my love for this place- if i can, i am tearing up as i write this.
this program has given me so much knowledge about myself, about teaching, about dance, and about others that is has flooded into all aspects of my life. besides the gospel, i think this has affected me in a holistic sort of way than anything yet in my life. i eat less sugar(huge i know). i go to bed early and wake up early(another monumental thing). i am more disciplined. i am happier. i have bigger dreams.
the main person to blame for all this is the program director: summer lee rhatigan. she is eloquent, she is breathtaking, she is wise, she is generous, she is a genius and she believes in and loves people with her whole self. she makes more jokes in ballet class than i thought was possible. she doesnt believe in mirrors:). she uses things like wet dogs, blown glass, and world peace as analogies to help us with ballet and it works. she makes 3.5 hours of ballet an uplifting experience. she is more than just a ballet teacher, she is a life coach. and before i start rambling-i will leave you with a few of my favorite of her phrases, the likes of which are routine, prosaic, daily occurrences, and if i could i would record every word she says:

i try jeans on in fifth. i braid my legs when i walk:)

fourth position becomes what second position needs it to be-like a good friend:)

the goal is a consequence. the goal is not an action.

if you need to worry, worry in a magnifying way. if you need to think, think in an open way.

make your troubles the most magnificent part of your life.

self doubt, conceit, fear, self deprecation are all vanities. they all get in the way of YOU!

you are powerful. be heros and leaders in your art form because that is what you are(she gives us the most sincere compliments that make you want to cry. and we usually do:) develop your power for others. be selfless. promise to be powerful for good. thats what i have promised.

amen with my tribute to summer.

8 comments:

mckell said...

Hey Mare! I was just thinking about you and the amazing life you're living. Some of those struck a chord with me. Thanks for sharing! I love and miss you.

non said...

I'm so glad that this has been such a wonderful/good/life changing/to die for experience. She sounds like such an elegant woman that would be exciting to be around everyday. I'm sorry it's over :( Can't wait to hang out when you get back...

hailey said...

Wow Mare, she sounds like an amazing woman. You have such an amazing talent and I'm SO happy you were able to spend this time there developing it even more! You are incredible. One of my most favorite things about you is your appreciation of other people. Also, when you said that Summer gives sincere compliments that make you want to cry, you were also describing yourself! I can't tell you how many times your kind words have made my day. I miss you SO much and I wish you could be back for W.J.'s birthday but I hope your final shows go great. Hopefully we'll see you soon! Love you!

Coombs Family said...

Hey there... this is the Coombs family! I found your blog... yeah! That is so neat all that you've been experiencing with dance. Although I never soaked in ballet to the depth that you are, I totally know what you mean as far is dancing in general goes. I miss my dancing days, and I'm jealous of all that you're experiencing. So, how are you and Devin doing? Alex and I miss the ward and you guys in it! Hope your summer continues to be as rewarding as it already has been... keep in touch :)

Becca said...

Oh Summer Lee-Rhatigan... Tearing up just reading your blog post. She is too heavenly and inspiring for words. What must I do to get you to stay with me for session 3? Kidnap you and lock you in the trunk at the foot of my bed? You better watch out or it might just happen. I'm so excited to watch you perform your little soul out this evening. I love you dearly, Mrs. Killpack!

Anonymous said...

Hey mare, this is Brandy. I know this is random but I was just watching old dance videos the other night and do you remember when we were dancing at center stage when kelly and rick were still there and I kicked you in the face so freakin hard in "hide and seek" the fast version. I watched that like 5 times over cause I felt so bad . It really looked like it hurt. Anyway, I know that is random but just wanted to say hi too. Lookes like you are doing well. Miss you.

Jen and Lance said...

AHHH!! I'm dying at all of her comments you wrote down! She seems magnificent! I want to take from her! How can I? Tell me all the details. I wish I could see the show. You should tell Danielle if you haven't already. I'm sure she would love to come watch you. Thanks for the inspiring post! I needed something like that! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You totally should come down here. I know its really hot especially in the summer, but really its a great place to live. The church is strong here too. I have only been here about 3 weeks but I love it so far.