8.08.2011

Cope has been good for us. so very good.

i had this long post written about motherhood, and it got deleted. since summarizing my thoughts about all this is daunting enough, this one will be quick, jumbled, and honest.



you hear it said that having a baby is hard. it is.
-hard on your pocketbook.
-hard on your body.
-hard on your patience.
-hard on so many other levels.

but even in the challenging areas there are gains that have come no other way:
-luckily, the words sister Beck said at a worldwide leadership training meeting three years ago have stuck with me, "you don't have children with money. you have children with faith."
-surprisingly, i've never been more accepting of my body since having a child. i'm appreciative and honored to live in something that can do such miraculous things. that's really huge for me.
-.... i'm still working on the patience. but i listened to this talk and laughed and cried.

there are even some surprising rewards i didn't expect. petty things like how my nails have never been so strong or long in my whole life. and of course the serious things like how our marriage is sweeter. like many more notches sweeter. we are more needed, more gentle, and literally more in love.

i wish you heard it said more how rewarding motherhood is. so this is me saying, despite all the hard, nothing in my life has been more fulfilling, humbling, challenging, softening, and exciting. and i love it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful

sherryandbryon said...

so well said, mare. being a mom is hard, but it's SO wonderful, too! glad you are enjoying it. cope is a lucky little guy to have you and dev. we love you all!

Mark, Eko and Leoniss Burroughs said...

kids do break your pocket, i dont buy things for me now cause i always go into the stores and go check things for the kids instead.
kids take over your heart and patience. one second you are ready to hang yourself because of them and then they do something sweet like a smile or they say i love you and someone they become the best child in the world.
I have always said that kids are the biggest chanllenge but my biggest blessing. and its true each and every day of my life.

Jen and Lance said...

I love all your posts on motherhood. I've always looked up to you, and now, your even at a higher place, if that was even possible. Your little boy is perfect, and how nice to have such a perfect mom as you. Thank you for all your beautiful words on motherhood.

Rachel Judd Cowley said...

I just need to call you to tell you my thoughts on your post. Amen to Krissy Louise.

jeni a. said...

Marilee you are wonderful. Thank you for your light, sweet girl. Wait, I mean sweet sweet MOTHER.

bev said...

o my goodness, that is a RICHARDS baby. He looks like a Richards. He is darling. Love to see these beautiful pictures, mare. Love him already. Love you, sweet mom! Thank you for letting me emjoy his growing up too.

melissa marie said...

thank you mare. i hope you are doing well. motherhood is the most beautiful thing this life has to offer. and i am positive you are an exceptional mother! love you!

Jesse said...

You should write a book... seriously. Your posts are so inspirational. I miss your beautiful smile and presence, but I'm so happy for you!

Kayla said...

I am not a mom yet. but this was beautiful! and I appreciate you sharing it with us!