9.20.2011

horse and buggy

every night at bedtime my mother 'rocked' and sang to each of her children. first we rocked on a wood rocking chair, then upgraded to a blue lazy boy. we only had a few songs before it was the next sibling's turn. some were religious songs, others not. that cherished alone time with mom at the close of day was a prized ritual at our house. who wouldn't love being sung to in mom's arms? when i found out that my mom wouldn't be around as i raised my own little one, i had her email me a bunch of the non-religious songs she sang to us, so i wouldn't forget them. what a treasure i have in those songs! i'm not sure where my mom learned all of these songs, undoubtedly her mother sang some of them to her. it's magical to think that what i sing to my dear cope links my beloved mother to us and who knows how many mothers before her:)

this is one of those non-religious songs i grew up and with and is a favorite of ours. my favorite part is how much cope resembles a coach driver with my hair in his hands resembling the reins of horse. i don't even care about my silly singing voice.


Untitled from marilee killpack on Vimeo.



No comments: