9.23.2011

little drummer boy

the hardest part about motherhood for me so far has been sleep. starting right around when devin went to china, cope began only sleeping for 30 minutes during the day and nighttime is also pretty rough. sleep deprivation does not lend itself to my most patient or beautiful side.
before i was mother, i thought my children would be well behaved. like, if someone told me their baby only slept for 30 minutes i would've probably thought my kids won't be like that if i have anything to do with it.
i've since learned sometimes kiddos beat to their own drum. and what i've noticed from my 9 weeks of parenting, is that how we deal with their different beating is what stretches us most. it's painful, but thank heavens children teach us so much about ourselves. how did i ever improve without this little tyke?

ps. i must've forgot to mention the whole reason i'm writing this post is because for the first time in 5 weeks cope has been asleep for over two whole hours. i've gone in to check on him over and over to make sure he's still breathing. he still is. breathing and sleeping. i may just die it's such a blessed day!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Hang in there! I totally understand the whole sleep issue. Little C is amazing... and amazingly curious to the point where she's afraid she'll miss something if she sleeps. She fights sleep at all costs. It does slowly start to get better. But I remember on several occasions thinking I might actually die from a lack of sleep. Still alive, though. :)

Oh, and that boy is ADORABLE!

Rachel Judd Cowley said...

I feel ya! It gets better :) ...and then worse, and then better!

Caitlin said...

your so right- each baby is so different. Im sorry about the sleep. But Rachel is right, it does get better. Cole was colicky for a few months and it was horrible getting him to sleep (usually around 1am). I felt like it would never end and I was a walking zombie-but now he goes to bed at 7pm and its much better :) Good luck!!

Aaron + Kayti said...

hello there beautiful mama! i PROMISE with all of my heart that it will only get better. i clearly remember the days of tunnel vision & feeling that there was seemingly no end in sight. although that was just a short month ago, it now feels like ages ago & i feel like myself again.

hang in there. you are really doing fabulously!