1.18.2012

hot sauce in his chili

the other day i found this poem at my sister's house. the sweet author is a wise woman in devin's childhood neighborhood. i distinctly remember reading this poem and thinking about it for over and over afterward. 

food for thought-by mary kay sorenson

food prepared without some spice
can be tasteless, and not caring
it doesn't hurt to spice things up
and be a little daring.

a little cloves or nutmeg in your soup
may seem quite silly
or why not try some ginger
or some cajun in your chili.

a marriage needs to have some spice
a little change and daring
a lot of thoughtfulness each day
and an awfully lot of caring

a love note hidden in his socks
may seem a little silly
but it will pay more dividends 
than hot sauce in his chili




now that i have been married four years (what!) it's the daring and caring things that make marriage magical.

oh and one last quote from a marriage article in this month's ensign:
"My all-time favorite short piece of counsel on marriage came from President Gordon B. Hinckley, who shared this important key to a great marriage: “A happy marriage is not so much a matter of romance as it is an anxious concern for the comfort and well-being of one’s companion.” If you want a happy marriage, do what happily married couples do."

three cheers for marriage: the institution that has taught me the most about myself, the challenge that has stretched me the most, the blessing that has deepened any joy i had previously known.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I absolutely love this!! Yay for being married four years and yay for people like you who bring a little "hot sauce" to every day life. You are one amazing girl. Thanks for that cute peom

Rachel Judd Cowley said...

Glad we talked :) Perfect.

bree lena said...

YAY! I just read that quote in my Marriage and Family class. I love it, and I love you!! and miss you!